Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SaltyGram Tank Build

Hello from the newest members of SLASH.

My wife and I built a custom home in Defiance in 2006. When we designed the house we included a large saltwater tank as a focal point in the home. Unfortunately, as is often the case with custom homes, the money ran out before the tank was built. This past Christmas we decided that our present to each other would be to finally build the tank.

Since that time we have been non-stop absorbing "saltwater". Books, videos, internet and we have visited every saltwater store in St. Louis. Wow is all I can say. It is really a whole different world. Sometimes it gets so overwhelming we wonder what we have gotten ourselves into.

All that aside, we are very excited. Through this thread we will document the build of our tank and welcome it's new residents. I hope you join us in this very special quest.

SaltyGram

My aunt is in defiance!

Comment

The cabinet shop I used to work at was in defiance.
      An intellectual solves problems, A Genius prevents them...and then there's me, I cause them.

Comment

SLASH is a great place to get help and info. Youll be glad you found us once you get into the process =)

Comment

Oh man we don't have a pic yet

What size tank are you planning on doing
          Ain't that a bish...

Comment

The Tank is Delivered

Excitement is building as the tank delivered this week.

It is nearly 300 gallons and measures 36" d x 36" t x 50" w. It would only come in one door in the basement and nearly didn't go up the stairs. It was very touch and go, but no one died during the delivery. I wasn't so sure for a while.

Today we picked out our live rock and everything will be installed on Thursday. I'll provide an update after that.

SaltyGram
            Attached Files

Comment

Very very cool!

Prepare yourselves for 5 months of cycle and fighting algae and frustration.

Comment

Welcome! Looking forward to the build. Two words of advice for an acrylic tank of that size. 1.) stay on top of the coraline! 2.) if you can't/don't stay on top of the coraline, don't keep urchins!
                Nick

Friends don't let friends pay $50 per polyp! Ask me about SLASH's Coral Donor Program.

Comment

Thanks for the pep talk!

Originally posted by rbnice1 View Post
                  Very very cool!

Prepare yourselves for 5 months of cycle and fighting algae and frustration.

Comment

Wow! Looks like an awesome spot for a great tank. You must be happy to finally have something sitting in that spot!
                    Four weeks, twenty papers, that's two dollars plus tip.

Comment

Looks like some great potential brewing, can't wait to see it unfold

Comment

The Tank is up and running

Last Thursday was installation day. All in all, everything went as planned, but it was a very long day. Here are some pictures from the installation:
                        Attached Files

Comment

Sweet! Looks like you've been quite productive!
                          Four weeks, twenty papers, that's two dollars plus tip.

Comment

Tank Update

Things have cleared up quite a bit. I've been focusing this week on the sump area. It is coming right along. Starting to get an ammonia spike so I think things are "cooking" as they should.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Looks good. Give us the lowdown on equipment. Also, I'm assuming you didn't install everything in one day by yourself, who's helping with all the work on this?
                              Last edited by Reeferhead; 01-30-2014, 09:05 AM.
                              Nick

Friends don't let friends pay $50 per polyp! Ask me about SLASH's Coral Donor Program.

Comment

Working...
                              X